The Care Homes Pharmacy Team is compiled of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians across North West London, incorporating the areas of Brent, Ealing, Harrow, Hillingdon & Hounslow.
The pharmacy professionals will be working with local health and social care colleagues and care homes staff, residents and their families, to provide a number of benefits for care homes and their residents including:
- Support Care Homes (nursing and residential) in complying with the standards for medicines management required by the Care Quality Comission
This will involve viewing and checking evidence for policies, processes, training and review of premises including storage facilities and provide appropriate training to care home staff on medicines management.
- Provide a comprehensive Medicines Optimisation service to improve the effectiveness, appropriateness and safety of medication.
The pharmacy professional will conduct structured medication reviews and work in partnership with the resident’s GP, the wider multidisciplinary team, care home staff, residents and relatives to optimise resident’s medication with the aim of improving overall health outcomes.
- Support the care home to improve their medicines systems to reduce avoidable medicine waste and inefficiency
- Provide training and supporting care home staff to enhance safer administration of medicines
Within each area, the team will be working towards some (or all) of the above aims dependent on the needs of the individual care home and the residents.
Good Practice Guidance
The North West London Clinical Commissioning Groups Care Home Pharmacy Group have produced a suite of good practice guidance for use by care homes (nursing and residential) and health and social care providers to support them in the safe effective use of medicines. The guidance’s are based on national standards, legislation and guidance. Click on the links below to access these documents.
Good practice guidance:
- Repeat Prescription Ordering
- Repeat Medication Ordering using EMIS access
- Storage of Refrigerated Medicines
- Covert Administration
- Homely Remedies
- Medication for Social Leave
- Supporting Self-Medication
- Management of Controlled Drugs